Whilst we were unable to hold a volunteer building blitz in 2021 due to Covid 19 thankfully due to the generosity of a private donor and our ongoing relationship with the Western Cape Education Dept our construction team, lead once again by Theo DeVilliers, have been able to build 11 classrooms along with toilet facilities and play areas in 2 schools in the townships of Delft on the outskirts of Cape Town. Over 2400 pupils will benefit from these infrastructural improvements and for the first time we have built a dedicated literacy hub, where we will be rolling out our new literacy programme in January 2022. Below is a list of the complete works to be carried out at the 2 schools and REMEMBER IN 2022 YOU WILL BE BACK TO CONTINUE THE BUILDING!!
Leiden High School (1271 learners)
- Build 5 x classrooms to be used by the Grade8.
- 1 x New Toilet block.
- 2 x 18m x 18m Canopy’s:
- One to be built with seating next to the kitchen and used as a dining area by all children
- Second canopy to be erected between the old classrooms and used for assembly and shelter against the elements.
- Fence a large new food garden next to the kitchen. This will help supply the kitchen with vegetables.
Leiden Avenue Primary School (1162 learners)
- Build 4 new classrooms to replace the temporary classrooms.
- Grade R’s = 2 x Classrooms. This will also replace temporary classrooms.
- Build one Literacy hub classroom.
- Erect a 18m x 18m Canopy with seating in the centre of all the buildings
- Build a new play area and jungle gym for the children.
- Place paving and plant new trees in the courtyard between the classrooms.