Data protection and privacy statement
Mellon Educate is committed to safeguarding your privacy online. This statement explains how we will collect, use and disclose information. This statement may change from time to time, so please check this page periodically.
It’s important that you feel completely comfortable and confident that your personal information is in safe hands. Mellon Educate takes protecting your privacy extremely seriously and takes all reasonable steps to ensure your information is secure.
The use of your personal information, why we collect it and what we save varies depending on how you interact with Mellon Educate, what consent you have given us and what the situation is. We have done our best to indicate this throughout the statement.
What information we collect
We may collect a variety of personally identifiable or sensitive information from you for various reasons. For example, we may collect:
- Personal details you give us, such as your name, email, phone number and address. We save this so we can keep in touch with you as appropriate, e.g.
- Your financial details, if you have made a donation to Mellon Educate. We need this to process your contribution/donation including accessing your tax back on your donation if appropriate.
- Your prior experience as a volunteer along with your particular interests in joining and becoming active in Mellon Educate. We need this so we can send you information about particular events that might be of interest and/or membership of particular groups in Mellon Educate.
- Your feedback on events you have attended or services you have availed of. We want to remain relevant and up to date, gathering feedback on what we do is really important, any feedback gathered is strictly confidential.
We would like to use the personal details you provide us to communicate with you about what is going on in Mellon Educate. We may also let you know about other ways you could get involved – whether that’s through, campaigning, events, volunteering, other fundraising initiatives or educational activities.
When you give us your details we will always tell you what we are going to do with them. If we request your contact details for any reason, you will always have an option to not give us them or to opt out. It is always your choice and you can change your mind at any time by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
Where we collect information from
Examples may include:
- From you directly, for example, when you fill out an application or become a donor, when you register and take part in a blitz or public event we organise.
- From external sources, for example, when you create an Everyday Hero page or when you interact with us on social media.
- From other organisations, when you give permission or where your personal data is available publically. For example, if you work for a volunteer sending organisation or another NGO / social justice organisation.
How long we keep your information for
We keep personal information for different lengths of time dependent on the purpose. For example, we do not remove volunteer records as lapsed volunteers may wish to hear of milestone events that they would wish to be a part of.
You can contact us at any time to ask us to see, amend or remove any of your personal information that we are holding.
Who we share your personal information with
Your information will be kept confidential to Mellon Educate, we never provide or sell your personal details with third parties for the purpose of marketing. The only exception to this would be where there was a lawful reason for your information to be provided to the police, regulatory bodies or legal advisers.
We are committed to comply with the standards set by the GDPR and this privacy statement at a minimum.
How your information is secure
The security of your information is of utmost importance to us. We seek to use reasonable measures to protect your information as required by the law and in accordance with the policies Mellon Educate has set. Sensitive data (known under GDPR as Special Categories of Data) is held under strict security conditions. If you have any reason to believe that any personal information we hold is no longer secure, please contact us immediately.
Further information on the law that says how your personal information can be used can be found here:
You can also contact the Data Protection Commissioner’s Office to find out more about types of personal information, its usage and your rights, or to report a concern.
Managing your communications from us
You have the right to know what personal information we have about you, to make changes to how you hear from us, and to ask us to stop processing or to remove your personal information. You also have the right to ask for a copy of the information we have.
You can change your communication preferences at any time; just get in touch with email@example.com
Lynx House, Old Church Road, Lower Kilmacud Road, Stillorgan, Co Dublin
Updated May 2018